Breastfeeding is a skill that takes time to develop, but support is available.
Your breast milk is perfectly designed for your baby and any breast milk that you give your baby provides important health benefits.
Breastfeeding and breast milk
- Meets all of your baby’s nutritional needs
- Helps to protect your baby against infection and illness
- Provides health benefits for your baby which last into adulthood
- Supports the relationship between you and your baby
Benefits for your baby
- Reduces the risk of infection
- Reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Reduces the risk of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease in adulthood
Benefits for you
- Helps to protect against Ovarian and Breast Cancer
- Lowers the risk of developing Osteoporosis
- Helps protect against Cardiovascular disease
- Lowers the risk of Obesity
- Is FREE with no cost outlay and adapts as your baby grows to meet their changing needs
The Bury Live Well Service in partnership with NHS Bury Health Visiting Service, run drop-In support groups in the Bury area and free, confidential telephone support and information to help you on your breastfeeding journey.
To make a self-referral for breastfeeding support or to find out more information about our drop-In breastfeeding group please contact us on 0161 253 7575 (opt 3) or request support online.