You can pay your Council Tax online using a debit card, credit card or PayPal.
Council Tax instalments and payment dates
You can choose to pay your Council Tax on the same date of either the 5th, 15th or 25th each month.
If you'd like to pay by instalments, you can choose any of the following ways:
- 10 monthly instalments, from April to the following January
- 12 monthly instalments, from April to March
- as 2 instalments, to be made in April and October
- a single payment in full, in April.
You can request a change of your payment date or number of instalments to be made.
If you receive your bill in the middle of a financial year, the amount of Council Tax due can be spread over the remaining months of the same financial year.
Pay by Direct Debit
You can setup a new Direct Debit or change an existing Direct Debit online. You can set your payment terms to pay:
- on the 5th, 15th or 25th of each month
- in 10 instalments between April and January, or
- in 12 instalments between April and March.
Direct Debits from joint bank accounts
If you have a bank account where more than one signatory is required to set up a Direct Debit, we cannot accept on line applications or take the details over the telephone. To set up a Direct Debit please complete the form below and we will send one to you.
Standing order or online banking
To pay by standing order or using online banking, you will need the following details to make a payment:
- your 8 digit Council Tax account number (starts with a '4')
- you will need to quote this as your payment reference number
- our banking details:
- Barclays Bank PLC, 1 Central Street, The Rock, Bury, BL9 0JN
- Sort code: 20-16-24
- Account number: 33020983
Our automated payment line 0300 456 0542 is available 24 hours a day. You will need to know enter your Council Tax account number when using this service. Calls cost the same as those to normal home or business landline numbers starting with 01 or 02.
If you're unsure of your Council Tax account number, you can call us on 0161 253 5656 to pay by debit or credit card on any weekday between 8.45am and 5pm.
You can pay your Council Tax bill at your local Post Office or PayPoint location. You can also choose to pay by cheque at a Post Office, with the cheque made out to 'Post Office Ltd'.
Your Council Tax balance
If you're registered for our online services, you can check your Council Tax balance online.
In exceptional circumstances, if you have Council Tax arrears and a court summons has been issued, we might still be able to help you.
When completing an income and expenditure assessment form, please give as many details about your household, income and expenses. This will help us consider your payment proposal.
Council Tax enforcement agents
If you have Council Tax debt that's been passed to an enforcement agent or bailiff, you should make payments directly to them.
The enforcement agencies we use are:
- Bristow and Sutor, telephone 0871 677 0070
- Jacobs, telephone 0161 650 4800
- Rossendales, telephone 0333 320 2155