You can request a bin for your property if:
- your bin is missing or damaged
- you need to change the size of your bin
- you want an extra bin.
Please note: All bins remain the property of Bury Council. To help keep them safe from damage or theft, please try to store them safely on your property. We also recommend putting your house number on them.
All bins must be paid for in advance. To encourage recycling we offer a lower charge for recycling bins.
- The cost of a grey household rubbish bin is £42.
- Blue, brown and green recycling bins cost £16.50 each
Bins for new build homes
If you are moving to a new build property, you can request a set of four bins for your new home by calling us on 0161 253 5353. The set will include one of each household bin type; grey, brown, blue and green. Check whether the developer or landlord has already ordered some before contacting us.
As a reminder, you should also register for Council Tax at your new home.
Extra blue or green recycling bin
You can request an extra green or blue recycling bin if you have extra recycling after squashing and flattening your items. You can make this request online.
Please note: We are only able to provide one brown recycling bin per property. We do not accept requests for extra brown bins.
Extra grey rubbish bin
You can request an extra grey bin if you regularly have no space for extra waste you cannot recycle in your other bins. You can make this request online, we will ask you to provide:
- a utility bill, to confirm you live in the property
- a recent Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit or Universal Credit letter, to confirm the number of children living in the property
- a bank statement or mobile phone bill for each adult, to confirm the number of adults living in the property
- evidence that you recycle as much household waste as you can
If you indicate your request is because of a medical or healthcare reason, a letter from your GP may also be needed.
We may also visit your home to audit your household waste and offer advice on how you might improve your waste and recycling habits.
Order a bin online
Please be aware that:
- you may not receive a brand new bin, but any bin we provide will be clean and fit for purpose
- applications for additional grey bins are reviewed annually and you must inform us if your circumstances change
- additional grey bins have red lids to help us identify them