Skip to main content

What is anti-social behaviour?

Bury Council views anti-social behaviour as any aggressive, intimidating or destructive activity that damages or destroys another person's quality of life. We work closely with the Police, Six Town Housing and our other partners to prevent and address issues of anti-social behaviour.

These can include:

  • Assault
  • Criminal damage
  • Dealing and using drugs
  • Graffiti
  • Harassment
  • Hate crime
  • Neighbours nuisance
  • Noisy parties
  • Threatening behaviour
  • Vandalism
  • Vehicle crime
  • Verbal abuse

What is nuisance?

A nuisance is a problem affecting your quality of life. This can include:

  • Animal nuisance e.g. dog fouling or barking
  • Bonfires
  • Noise e.g. loud music or television, DIY activities, burglar/vehicle alarms, industrial and construction site noise and noise from places of entertainment
  • Quad bikes (see: You, your bike and the law)

What you can do about it?

We encourage residents to be tolerant of certain types of behaviour for example young people socialising in groups. We also find that sometimes the most effective way to deal with problems with your neighbours or other nuisances is to talk to those responsible yourself. This can stop things escalating out of your control and can help address issues around noise, parking, boundaries and children's behaviour. It is important you do this when you feel calm and you can approach the person in a non confrontational manner.

However, if this does not resolve the problem or if you feel threatened or frightened there are several organisations that can help you so you should report it (see: Report anti-social behaviour).