Skip to main content

Child abuse can involve physical injury, neglect, emotional or sexual abuse.

Abuse can happen to any child from any social background or ethnic group. It can involve a parent, another family member or someone else the child knows well, or it could be someone the child does not know.

If you suspect or believe a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, including any form of mistreatment or abuse, you should report your concerns.

If you work for an agency or organisation that has a policy or procedure about children at risk, then you should follow it.

If you are a member of the public, or if your organisation does not have a policy or procedure, take the following steps.


If a child is in immediate danger, you should contact the Emergency Services - 999 or Greater Manchester Police - 101.

Not an emergency, or concerns from the public

If there is no immediate danger, or you need advice or information, you can telephone the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 0161 253 5678 (outside normal office hours 0161 253 6606) or if you are a professional complete the form below

You can also contact the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.

If you work or volunteer for an organisation discuss your concern with a manager or designated professional.

Concerns from professionals

The more information children's social care get at the first point of contact, the more likely it is that appropriate services will be delivered at the earliest opportunity to help children and families.

Request for information

What happens when you contact Bury council's multi agency safeguarding hub?

We are experienced children's services professionals, who are trained to deal with sensitive issues. We will ask you a few short questions to find out how best to deal with your concern.

We work closely with other professionals to make sure that action is taken and the right level of support can be given to the right people at the right time.

Everyone who comes into contact with children and families in their everyday work has a duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. Safeguarding children is everyone's business. The Bury Safeguarding Partnership (BSP) website has more detailed information about abuse, reporting concerns, training.

Safeguarding procedures that professionals should follow can be read at Greater Manchester Safeguarding Procedures