Complaints about most council services

Before you make a complaint

If you are contacting us for the first time to request a service, or report a problem, please give us the opportunity to sort out the issue. You can tell us we need to look at something by using one of our report a problem online forms

Report a problem

You can also find the relevant service on our A-Z index, at the bottom of this page.

We hope we can sort out most complaints in this way. It lets us put things right quickly, so you can get the service you want.

Making a complaint

If after dealing with a Council department, you have a complaint about the service you have received, our actions or lack of actions, please let us know and we will do our best to resolve the matter.

There are separate complaints processes for the following services. This is because they have to follow different rules and in some cases your complaint may involve confidential or sensitive information:

If you wish to complain about any other service provided by Bury Council please use one of the following options:

Make a complaint online

Alternatively, you  can telephone on 0161 253 5000, write to Customer Care Office, Town Hall,  Knowsley Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 0SW, or visit any council office.

What happens after you have made a complaint?

We will acknowledge your complaint and pass it to the department concerned within 5 working days. The issues will be investigated by a senior manager who is not involved in the reason for your complaint.

Within 20 working days of receiving your complaint we will contact you to explain the results of our investigation. If we have not completed our investigation within 20 working days we will let you know when we hope to give you a full response.

Further information about how we respond to complaints can be found in our complaints procedure..

Contact for Complaints (Council)