About your brown recycling bin
Due to the coronavirus outbreak brown bin collections were cancelled for one cycle, but this week (6-10 April) we hope to be able to empty some of them, subject to having enough staff available. If we plan to empty your brown bin we will email you the day before to let you know. If you haven't already done so, please sign-up for email reminders and alerts so that we can keep you up-to-date with any changes. Find out more.
What we do want (garden waste)
- Grass cuttings.
- Hedge clippings.
- Cut flowers and plants.
- Bark and twigs.
- Small branches and small logs.
What we do want (food waste)
- Meat and fish - raw and cooked including bones.
- Fruit and vegetables - raw and cooked, including peelings.
- Dairy products such as eggs and cheese.
- Bread, cakes and pastries.
- Rice, pasta and beans.
- Uneaten food from your plates and dishes.
- Tea bags and coffee grounds.
Need more liners for your food waste?
- Attach the ribbon towards the end of the roll to your brown bin. Our collection crew will leave you a new roll.
- If you don't have a brown bin or kitchen caddy visit the Request a bin page.
What we don't want
- Any type of packaging.
- Plastic bags.
- Liquids, eg, fruit juice or milk.
- Cooking oil or liquid fat.
- Large amounts of soil.
- Big logs.
- Plant pots.
- For food waste, only use the compostable liners we provide.
- Batteries and mobile phones should always be recycled, but you can't put them in your bins at home. This is because they contain hazardous materials and are a fire risk. To find your nearest recycling point go to Recycle Now's recycling locator.