Join a library
It is free to become a member of Bury Libraries and anyone who lives or works in the Bury area can join. Membership allows you to borrow items from our libraries, download free eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines and access a host of online resources. You can also have free access to the internet and take part in the events that we host in the libraries.
Join the library online
This will give you a temporary library membership number and password to allow you to immediately borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks and eMagazines. Your membership card will be available to collect from any of the Bury Libraries. Please bring a form of ID showing your address when you collect your card.
Please note: Online registration is for new members only. If you have already joined the library, please do not use this form If you are having problems with your existing membership, please contact your local library for assistance.
Join at a library
If you visit a library, you can join there. We will need to see proof of your name and address and you can start borrowing immediately. If you are under 18 you require the permission of a parent or guardian to join.
Conditions of membership
- Membership is available to those who live, work or study in the Bury Council area.
- To borrow items you must use your library membership card, and you should use the self-service machines if possible.
- Books and audiobooks may be borrowed for three weeks.
- You may borrow up to twelve items on your card. These can be borrowed from and returned to any library in Bury.
- Items may be renewed three times online or at any library. If a reservation has been placed on an item you have on loan a renewal is not permitted.
- Overdue fines are charged for the late return of items. Under 16s and over 65s are not fined for overdue items.
- You may not be able to borrow items if you have overdue items and outstanding charges.
- A reservation and/or inter-library loan service is available for those items which are on loan, available at another branch or at another library service. You can place your own reservations for most items via the online catalogue.
- All costs incurred by the library service due to items lost or damaged whilst in your care must be paid.
- All inter-library loan and lost membership card charges are non-refundable.
- If you change your address or name please notify us immediately.
- You must renew your library card once every two years. A member of staff will do this for you when your card is due for renewal.
- Please report lost cards to the library immediately. You will be held responsible for any items borrowed before the loss is reported.
Home Delivery Library Service
The Home Delivery Library Service is a free service for people who live in the borough of Bury but cannot get to a library or ask anyone to collect books on their behalf. Please contact your local library or complete the home delivery library service form and a member of staff will contact you with more information.