Taxi driver's licence - new application
Before we can accept an application, you will need to ensure you have all the evidence as detailed below.
The Knowledge Test
Once you have made your application below, a licensing advisor will contact you to book the knowledge test.
To assist you in preparing for the Knowledge Test we have produced a 'Home Study Pack'. This explains the difference between how a hackney carriage vehicle and a private hire vehicle operate and what you need to do and know to become a licensed driver.
Evidence for Medical Examination Report
You will need to provide a medical examination report. Please print the form below and book an appointment with your registered GP for them to complete the form. They will need access to your full medical records to;
- complete the medical questionnaire
- confirm you meet group 2 medical standard of fitness issued in the Medical Fitness to drive hackney carriage/private hire vehicles by the DVLA.
If your registered GP is not willing to certify that you meet the group 2 guidelines, then you will be need to obtain your medical records from your GP and obtain a further medical report from an alternative GP/doctor at your own expense.
Download the Medical Examination Report form [193kb].
Evidence of Disclosure and Barring Service
You must complete a DBS check online using Personnel Checks or supply a certificate issued within six months.
Go to Taxi Plus - I'm a driver: Online checks for taxi-private hire drivers to enter your details and pay online.
- You will be sent an application by email so please ensure you have correctly input your email address.
- Complete the application and upload your documents
- You will be notified by email when your application has gone to the DBS to be processed and you will be sent a reference so you can track the application online.
- You will then be sent an email once your check is complete and your certificate will follow in the post.
Evidence of registration to the DBS Update Service
When you have completed your DBS application and been given your reference number you should immediately sign up to the DBS Update Service. If you have an existing certificate, you still need to sign up to this service, this is a mandatory requirement.
Sign up to the DBS update service at Gov.uk - DBS update service.
There is an initial fee and then an annual fee payable to the DBS. You must maintain the registration to enable the licensing authority to routinely check for new information every six months as a minimum. Failure to maintain the registration may have implications for your driver's license in the future should your application be granted by the licensing authority. This service reduces the need to apply for multiple certificates when you move from one job to another in the same workforce or when a recheck is required by the authority that issue your license.
By subscribing to this service, you will be able to add and remove DBS applications and certificates; view organisations who have checked the status of your certificate(s); and amend your contact and payment details
Evidence required for communication and numeracy skills
We require proof of the following qualifications.
- GCSE, GCE, Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in English or ESOL certificate at Level 1 or 2; and
- GCSE, GCE or Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in maths.
If you do not hold the above qualifications, you will need to pass a Communication and Numeracy skills assessment. You will take the assessment at Bury Adult Learning Centre, 18 Haymarket Street, Bury, BL9 0AQ. The assessment costs £32. To make an appointment, telephone the centre on 0161 253 5772. The assessment and test will include the following.
- Spoken English (interview)
- Listening comprehension (interview)
- Reading (written assessment)
- Writing (written assessment)
- Numeracy (written assessment)
Evidence of your safe driving skills
We require proof that you have passed a practical driving assessment for taxi drivers with one of our approved driver training companies. The following companies are approved by Bury Council. Visit their websites for information and to make an appointment to take the assessment.
Evidence of your safeguarding training
Trust2Ride is a professional development training course created by Personnel Checks and accredited by the CPD. The training raises awareness of safeguarding in order to protect taxi drivers and their passengers. There is a cost for the training.
We require proof that you have undertaken the safeguarding training at Trust2Ride.
Evidence of DVLA Driving License
You must declare any motoring offences on your application form. Motoring offences are any activities that have resulted in your DVLA licence being endorsed, for example, speeding, failing to stop at a red light or failing to provide the details of a driver at the time of an alleged road traffic offence.
We require a DVLA issued license share code, so we can check the information you have provided, you can do this on the DVLA website. If there is a discrepancy between the DVLA record and your application form, then you may be required to attend a meeting of the Licensing and Safety committee.
Right to work in the UK check
You must provide either an acceptable document or documents from the Lists of acceptable documents for right to a licence checks or provide a right to work code from Gov.uk - Prove your right to work to an employer so that we can check your right to work in the UK. You will need to upload the document(s) with your application.
If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to the licensing authority, failure to do so is a criminal offence.
You must declare all criminal and driving related convictions and endorsements (this includes Fixed Penalties) on your application form. If you do not, it could delay or stop us from progressing your application, please see guidance:
Important please note: The conviction guidelines are relevant during the duration of your driver's licence.
New government tax check on licence applications
From 4 April 2022 the government introduced mandatory tax checks through the Finance Act 2021 to confirm that the applicant is appropriately registered for tax. Applicants must contact HMRC to obtain a tax share code for your application.
Read all the information on New government tax check on licence applications.
Priver Hire Drivers conditions
Please read: Private Hire driver conditions.
Before making your application
Please make sure you have the following documents ready to upload online:
- Full UK driving license (not a provisional or a driving test pass certificate). The licence must be at least 12 months old.
- Evidence you have submitted an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check online or a certificate (less than six months old)
- Proof you have signed up to the DBS update service
- Certificate of Medical Fitness
- GCSE, GCE, Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in English or ESOL certificate at Level 1 or 2; and GCSE, GCE or Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in maths
- Certificate for passing practical driving assessment for taxi drivers with Mitchells School of Motoring or Defensive Driver Training
- Proof that you have attended safeguarding training with Trust2Ride
- Proof of your right to work in the UK for example valid UK passport
- 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from the country you have been living in, if you have not resided in the UK for the last five years.
You will also need
- A DVLA share code obtainable by going to Gov.uk - View driving licence
- You National Insurance Number
- A tax share code
The application fee is £231 this includes the knowledge test and the licence fee.
Once you have submitted your application and evidence, we will contact you to complete your knowledge test. If you meet all the criteria, we will contact you to issue your license within 28 days. The license will be valid for three years.