Taxi driver's licence
Important information about your application
To be granted a private hire or a hackney carriage driver licence, you must:
- hold a full UK driving licence (not a provisional or a driving test pass certificate). The licence must be at least 12 months old;
- produce evidence that you have passed a practical driving assessment for taxi drivers;
- produce evidence of your communication and numeracy skills;
- pass a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check;
- produce a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from the country you have been living in, if you have not resided in the UK for the last five years;
- pass a Knowledge Test which will include you having knowledge of the licence conditions attached to the appropriate driver and vehicle licences;
- obtain a 'Certificate of Medical Fitness' from either Cotswold Medical or your local GP at your own expense. If you are using your local GP, please note that you will need to confirm beforehand that your local GP is willing to complete the medical questionnaire; and give their opinion on your fitness as per the group 2 guidelines issued in the Medical Fitness to drive issued by the DVLA;
- produce evidence that you have the right to work in the UK;
- produce evidence that you have attended safeguarding training.
Only after successfully meeting the criteria listed above and paying the required fee(s) will you be issued with the appropriate driver licence and badge. The licence will be valid for three years.
The application process
Providing evidence of your communication and numeracy skills
Before we can accept an application from you, we require proof of the following qualifications.
- GCSE, GCE, Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in English or ESOL certificate at Level 1 or 2; and
- GCSE, GCE or Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 in maths.
If you do not hold the above qualifications you will have pass a Communication and Numeracy skills assessment. You will take the assessment at Bury Adult Learning Centre, 18 Haymarket Street, Bury, BL9 0AQ. The assessment costs £32. To make an appointment, telephone the centre on 0161 253 5772. The assessment and test will include the following.
- Spoken English (interview)
- Listening comprehension (interview)
- Reading (written assessment)
- Writing (written assessment)
- Numeracy (written assessment)
Evidence of your safe driving skills
Before we can accept an application from you, we require proof that you have passed a practical driving assessment for taxi drivers with one of our approved driver training companies. The following companies are approved by Bury Council. Visit their websites for information and to make an appointment to take the assessment.
Evidence of your safeguarding training
Before we can accept an application from you, we require proof that you have undertaken the safeguarding training (Trust2Ride) by our approved training company, Personnel Checks. There will be a cost to the training which is payable direct to the approved training company.
What is Trust2Ride?
Trust2Ride is a professional development training course created by Personnel Checks and accredited by the CPD. The training raises awareness of safeguarding in order to protect taxi drivers and their passengers.
How do I book on to the course?
Phone Personnel Checks on 01254 355679 to book your training course.
Disclosure and Barring Service
You must complete a DBS application form. Call into Bury Licensing Service reception at Bury Town Hall to collect a form.
The Knowledge Test
To assist you in preparing for the Knowledge Test we have produced a 'Home Study Pack' titled 'I want to be a Taxi Driver'. This booklet explains the difference between how a hackney carriage vehicle and a private hire vehicle operate and what you need to do and know to become a licensed driver.
Right to a licence check
Before we can accept an application from you, you must provide an acceptable document or documents so that we can check your right to work in the UK. The document(s) will be copied and we will keep a copy. The original document will be returned to you.
Taxi driver's licence application form
Important information: During the coronavirus outbreak we are prioritising our services to help protect you and others. This means we won't be accepting any new taxi driver licensing applications until further notice while we focus our efforts on renewal of existing licences. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Make an appointment with Bury Licensing Service
You will need to contact Bury Licensing Service to make an appointment to complete your application. When you attend the appointment you must bring the following documents with you so that they can be checked.
- Proof of your communication and numeracy skills
- Proof of passing a practical driving assessment for taxi drivers
- Proof of your right to work in the UK, for example, your passport
- The completed taxi driver licence application (if not already submitted online)
- The completed DBS application
- Your DVLA Driver Licence
- Your valid passport (if you have one)
- Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
- Your UK residency permit and proof of 'right to work in the UK' if you are not a UK or an EU National
- Two recent utility bills or a bank statement showing your name and current address
- The fee for the DBS and the Knowledge Test
Please note: The fee for the taxi driver licence does not have to be paid until you pass the Knowledge Test.