Skip to main content

If you're wanting to change the secondary school your child attends, you can choose to apply to more than one secondary school.

Check our list of secondary schools in Bury.

Apply to change secondary school

All secondary school move applications are considered by the In-Year Fair Access Panel and if necessary, by an appeals panel.

You should not withdraw your child from their current school until your application to move schools has been accepted and approved.

Please print, complete and return the in-year secondary school transfer application by:

  • post: In-Year Fair Access, 3 Knowsley Place, Duke Street, Bury, BL9 0EJ
  • email:

If your child has an Educational, Health and Care Plan, please send your completed application:

Secondary school transfer process

Applications for moving secondary school consist of two stages:

  • At the first stage, information will be obtained from your child's previous school and your admission request will be considered by our In-Year Fair Access Panel.
    • The panel will consider the allocation of one of your three school preferences, but this is not always possible. You'll be given a list of alternative schools with vacancies, by the In-Year Fair Access Panel.
  • The second stage allows you to appeal if your preferred school is full or if you are not happy with your allocated school. Your application will then be processed as an appeal form by the Admissions Team.

You should not withdraw your child from school before the appeal decision is made.

Secondary school admissions appeals

If you decide to appeal the decision made at the second stage of your application, a statement will be prepared outlining the reasons why a place has not been offered at your preferred school(s).

Your in-year transfer application and appeal will be forwarded to the Democratic Services section, which is responsible for arranging the appeals meetings. You'll receive confirmation of the date of the meeting and you'll be invited to attend. Any enquiries relating to the date or time of the appeals meetings, the decision or the process of the appeals panel should be made to Democratic Services by calling 0161 253 5134.

The appeals panel will consider your submission, the Authority's statement and any other information made available to them at the meeting. A decision will be reached based on this information.

The decision of the appeals panel is binding. If the decision is in your favour, then a place will be offered to your child and the school will be notified accordingly.

If you need any advice on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0161 253 6474 and we will try to help.

If your child has a statement of special educational needs, you cannot appeal through the local appeals panel. If you do not live within Bury Council's area, you should contact the Special Needs Section of your own Local Authority. If you do live in Bury, you should contact the Special Educational Needs (SEN) team on 0161 253 5969.