Bulky household waste collection
If you have furniture you no longer want that is still in good condition you could donate it to a community scheme or charity. To find out more about furniture re-use see Cutting back on waste.
If you have bulky household items that you want to get rid of and that can't be re-used you can arrange a bulky waste collection with us. You can use this service for a wide range of items such as old mattresses, TVs, washing machines, fridges, freezers and carpets.
The cost of a bulky collection
- We charge £36 for each collection.
- Please note:
- we will collect up to to 5 items per collection;
- some larger items count as more than one item (eg a double wardrobe counts as four items);
- you cannot add extra items after you have booked a collection;
- if you cancel your collection, reduce the number of items or if the items are not available at the time of collection, no refund of payment will be given;
- residents in receipt of Council Tax benefit can request one half-price collection of up to five items per year; discounted collections must be booked with our Customer Contact Centre on 0161 253 5353.
A detailed list of the items we do and do not collect is provided below under the 'Your questions answered' heading.
Please help protect our collection staff during the coronavirus pandemic
Please make sure that you place your bulky items outdoors ready for collection at least 3 days before your collection is due. It is important that you do this to help safeguard our workforce.
Please note that once a collection has been booked, the charge is non-refundable.
Your questions answered
- Bagged household waste
- Dog kennels (large)
- Fence panels and fence posts
- Fitted wardrobes
- Gas bottles
- Glass items (eg shower screens or florescent sun bed tubes)
- Gym equipment (large)
- Kitchens (fitted)
- Kitchen worktops
- Ladders (double-extension)
- Musical instruments, for example, pianos
- Window frames
Please note: Some larger items count as more than one item. This is indicated in brackets after the name of the item.
- Armchair (2)
- Armchair (reclining) (3)
- Bath (2)
- Bathroom suite (4)
- BBQ (no gas) (2)
- Bed (double - base, mattress and headboard) (5)
- Bed (king-size - base, mattress and headboard) (5)
- Bed (single - base, mattress and headboard) (3)
- Bed base (single) (1)
- Bed base (double) (2)
- Bed base (king size) (2)
- Bedside cabinet (1)
- Bench (2)
- Bike (1)
- Bunk bed/cabin bed (3)
- Bunk bed/cabin bed with mattress (5)
- Carpet (6 foot length) (5)
- Chair/Stool (1)
- Chest of draws (3)
- Children's toys (1)
- Computer monitor (1)
- Computer base unit and keyboard (2)
- Computer desk (2)
- Cooker (3)
- Cot (2)
- Dehumidifier (1)
- Dining suite (with up to 6 chairs) (5)
- Display Unit (no glass) (2)
- Door (external no glass) (3)
- Door (internal no glass) (2)
- Drawers (3)
- Electrical item (1)
- Filing cabinet (2)
- Footstool (pouffe) (1)
- Fridge or freezer (3)
- Fridge-freezer (American-style) (5)
- Garden chair (1)
- Garden furniture (1)
- Garden lounger (1)
- Garden table and up to 6 garden chairs (5)
- Garden tools (1)
- Headboard (1)
- Ironing board (1)
- Ladder (maximum 20 feet) (3)
- Lawn mower (electric and petrol - please drain any petrol) (2)
- Mattress (double/king size) (2)
- Mattress (single) (1)
- Microwave (1)
- Printer (desktop) (1)
- Radiator (3)
- Satellite dish (1)
- Sink (bathroom or kitchen) (2)
- Snooker table (1)
- Sofa (corner) (5)
- Sofa (double) (2)
- Sofa (reclining) (5)
- Sofa (triple) (3)
- Step ladder (2)
- Sunbed (without tubes) (3)
- Sunlamp (without tubes) (1)
- Table (2)
- Television (2)
- Three-piece suite (soft and two chairs) (5)
- Toilet (1)
- Trampoline (dismantled) (5)
- Two-piece suite (sofa and one chair) (4)
- Vacuum cleaner (1)
- Wardrobe (double - non mirrored ) (4)
- Wardrobe (single - non mirrored) (2)
- Wash basin/pedestal (1)
- Washer or dryer (3)
We usually have collection dates available at a week's notice or less, but you can book a collection up to three week's in advance.
- You should leave your items at your bin collection point, front garden or driveway.
- Items should be whole and not broken into pieces.
- Soft furnishings should be kept dry and covered.
We will not collect items from:
back gardens, yards, sheds or garages;
inside your property; this includes properties within blocks of flats.