Register for business rates

Who needs to register?

You will be liable for business rates if

  • you occupy a property, either as its owner or as a tenant
  • if you rent a property and have signed a tenancy, even if you have not moved in or started trading
  • if you are the landlord of a property, and you do not have a tenant.

If your property is empty, even though you will be liable for business rates you may qualify for an exemption. 

If are unsure if you should be responsible for business rates contact us.

Moving from one property to another within the borough

If you are

  • already registered for business rates within the borough and you are moving to another property within the borough.

Complete the business rates - moving address form

Occupation form

If you are

  • setting up a new business, opening a new shop or taking over an established business
  • buying or renting a business property - even if you haven't started trading yet
  • buying a business property with a view to renting it out to tenants.
  • expanding your business by buying or renting a new property in addition to one you already own or rent

Complete the business rates - occupation form

Vacation form

If you are

  • selling your business property
  • closing down your business, and then renting the property out to tenants
  • ending your tenancy (if you end your tenancy then responsibility for business rates will pass back to the landlord when the property is empty)

Complete the business rates - vacation form


If you are a landlord and

  • your tenant has moved in to or moved out of your property

Complete the business rates - landlord change of tenants form

What happens next

We will use the information you give us to:

Contact for Business Rates