Children with disabilities
Where can I find support?
Support for children with disabilities is available from a range of services:
The Council's Children's Disability service is based at 3 Knowsley Place, Duke Street, Bury and provides an assessment and care management service for children who have a permanent and substantial disability or a life-limiting illness.
The legislative framework for the team is primarily through the Children & Families Act 2014, Children's Act 2004, The Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970, The Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000 and The Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulations 2011.
Information relating to the following areas can be found in the Bury Directory and link below:
- Short breaks and read more information on this short breaks page
- Bury First Point Family Support Services
- Bury2gether (the current Bury Parents Forum)
Information and contact details for other agencies who can provide support are detailed in The Bury Directory - Families
How do I get support?
The child must:
- be 17 years or under
- be ordinarily resident in Bury LA
- have one or more of the following
- a permanent and substantial disability which may be physical, learning, sensory, communication and/or Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- a chronic life limiting illness, i.e. child's physical health serious and deteriorating
- a life threatening or terminal illness.