English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) courses

If English isn't your main language, you can take a course to help you improve your English. These courses are called ESOL or English for speakers of other languages.

You will also need a qualification if you wish to apply to settle in the UK or become a British citizen. Improving your English can help you get more out of your life in the UK. It will help you if you want to:

  • find work or improve your job prospects
  • study at a higher level
  • help your children with their school work
  • talk to doctors and teachers
  • understand the laws and customs of the UK

Lesson topics include:

  • working in the UK
  • health and wellbeing
  • living in the community
  • education
  • leisure

We offer classes at all levels from Entry Level 1 to Level 2. We will give you an assessment to decide on the right level for you.

Classes are delivered at the following centres:

  • Bury Adult Learning Centre
  • ADAB, South Cross Street, Bury

Our courses are free to those on certain benefits. For further information or to arrange an assessment, please contact us or visit our centre in Bury.

English for Visas

Trinity College - Secure English language tests logo

If you are applying for a visa which asks you to prove your English language ability, or a citizenship application, you will have to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT). We offer test preparation courses. The courses will be two hours a week for 8 weeks. Times to be arranged.

All prospective learners will be assessed prior to being offered a place.

Cost: £220.00 (Please note, this does not include the exam fee which is payable directly to the test centre).

Bespoke courses

In addition to the main programme of ESOL provision, we are able to design and deliver bespoke English courses to meet the specific needs of organisations. Please contact our ESOL team  for further information or to discuss your requirements.

Contact for Adult Learning