Secondary school admissions
If you live in Bury and your child is currently in Year 6 please apply online for your child's secondary school place following the process below. You can still apply for schools outside the Bury area using the online form. You should also still apply for a place at a secondary school even if your child has siblings there.
To be able to apply for a place in a Bury school, you must be resident in Bury. If you live outside Bury, you must apply through your home authority.
The deadline for applying for a secondary school place is 31 October 2022. If you apply after this date it can severely reduce your chances of obtaining a place at your preferred school.
Please read The Transfer to Secondary School Guide 2023 [886kb] before applying for your secondary school place. This details the admissions process and should give you all the information you need: along with our frequently asked questions. You will also find further information under the downloads section below that will help you make an informed choice when applying for your school place.
Search for details and results of our secondary schools - this includes links to their web sites where you can find details of their open days and evenings
|Key date||What happens|
|1 September 2022||Applications open. Ideally these should be made online.|
|From Monday 5 September 2022||Information will be distributed from your child's primary school advising you on how to apply.|
|September - October 2022||Open evenings are held at secondary schools.|
|31 October 2022||Closing date for applications. Remember that a late application will not be considered until all on-time applications have been offered places.|
|1 March 2023||Allocation day. Emails will be sent to all parents/carers that have applied online after 9am. Letters will be posted to non-online applicants.|
|31 March 2023||Last day for submitting an appeal.|
|May - July 2023||Appeal hearings take place.|
Further important information
These pages are intended as a guide to the policies and procedures of the Local Authority (LA). Please note that:
- Bury Council does not fund places in independent schools
- Certain schools need additional information to apply their admissions criteria and may require you to also complete a Supplementary Information Form from the school's website
- The Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted) publishes Reports Ofsted - Inspection reports for each school
- Ofsted is changing how it inspects and reports on schools, read about the changes at Gov.uk - Ofsted changes to how it inspects schools
- Organising travel to and from school on public transport can be done via the Transport for Greater Manchester website
- Information on tram services is available on the Transport for Greater Manchester - Trams website or at main Metrolink stations
- Links to neighbouring authorities can be found below: