Public Spaces Protection Orders are designated for the purposes of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2014.
Persons failing to comply with a request by a police constable or Authorised Council Officer exercising their power under this Act may be subject to summary prosecution which may lead to a fine being imposed.
We have one active PSPO that covers Bury Town Centre and several others that have now currently expired and are now under review.
The active areas currently covered within the borough are listed below:
Bury town centre - All streets and public areas within the following described boundaries.
- To the North, the full length of Peel Way (Inner Relief Road) to its junction with Jubilee Way in the West and its junction with Walmersley Road, Moorgate and The Rock in the East
- To the West, the full length of Jubilee Way from its junction with Peel Way to its junctions with Angouleme Way and Manchester Road
- To the South and East, the full length of Angouleme Way to its junction with Rochdale Road
- To the East, Rochdale Road to its junction with Derby Street
- The full length of Derby Street to its junction with Barlow Street
- The full Length of Barlow Street to its junction with The Rock
- The Rock from its junction with Barlow Street to Peel Way in the North
For full details of our PSPO Policy and Process, and all other information that covers this subject, please refer to the following document:
PSPOs do not apply to licensed premises or registered clubs or places where the sale of intoxicating liquor has been authorised by club premises certificate, a temporary permission or premises licence.
The following are not designated public places:
- Premises which hold a premises licence or club premises certificate authorising the sale or supply of alcohol and places within the curtilage of such premises
- Premises at any time where a valid temporary event notice is in force, during the period when alcohol is being sold or supplied and for a period of 30 minutes thereafter
- A place where facilities/activities relating to the sale or consumption of alcohol are for the time being permitted under permission granted under section 115E of the Highways Act 1980.