Clarence Park opened as a public park in 1888 and is the largest urban local community public park in the Borough. The park is located just over a mile from Bury town centre in an area named Moorside.
- Walmersley Road (park), Milner Avenue (lido)
- Grid Reference: Grid Ref: (E) 381139, (N) 412177
- Area: 20.02
Clarence Park is adjoined by Miss Walkers Field and Clarence lido. It is also bordered by Chesham Woods and Chesham local nature reserve.
The skate park at Clarence Park is now closed because it is not safe to use due to constant vandalism and disrepair. We have carried out a survey with the community and are analysing the feedback to shape sustainable future plans for the park as a whole.
- Two bowling greens
- Football pitch
- Children's play area
- Two tennis courts
- Bury Bike Libraries
- The Green cafe and community centre
- Model boats on the lido
- Angling on the lido
- Car park at the lido
- Wheels for all cycling programme
- Run England 3-2-1 route.
Clarence lido is a pleasant facility within the park offering the opportunity for quiet relaxation away from the hustle and bustle. The lake is surrounded by formal seating and is home to the model boat club.
The park is fairly level throughout with well-maintained footways and is accessible to people using wheelchairs and families with push-chairs.
Friends of Clarence Park
The Friends of Clarence Park group is a collection of local residents and park users who are passionate about Clarence Park.
- Facebook: Friends of Clarence Park Facebook page
Green Flag Award
Clarence Park has retained a Green Flag Award since 2005. The national Green Flag Award scheme recognises excellence in green space management and measures criteria such as cleanliness, maintenance, sustainability, community involvement, heritage, nature conservation, health, safety, security and overall management.
Clarence Park was one of four parks established following a public meeting in 1883, with contributions from Lord Derby, the Lord of the Manor, a public subscription, and, in this particular case, generous contributions of land and money from a local benefactor, Mr Thomas O Openshaw. This and another three parks were opened by the Prince of Wales/Duke of Clarence, HRH Prince Albert Victor, on 21st July 1888. The park was previously known as 'Walmersley Road Recreation Ground'.
The Bandstand in Clarence Park was first opened on 4 November 1899 and was presented by JP Henry Whitehead and businessman Edmund Milnes who owned the sheet factory in Chesham. A bronze plaque was found in 1985 by Mr and Mrs Appleby who had lived in the Park House. It was presented to Marisa Dale who said she will display it on the new bandstand on completion.
Clarence Park Lido started life as a reservoir according to the Bury Times (1st June 1963). Work had started in 1962 when 10,000 gallons of water were drained from the then reservoir and concrete walls replaced the boulder strewn banking. Corporation gardeners had to battle bad weather to try and get the lido ready for the summer of 1963. By the Summer of 1964 the Lido was in full swing. These works cost an estimated £14,000. The Lido was described as probably being the 'finest in the North'.
Clarence lido was opened officially by the then Mayor Councillor J. Roberts on Saturday 13th May 1967, along with the Mayoress Mrs A. Roberts.
The Jubilee Centre was officially opened on the 19th September 1996 and the plaque states "Age Concern Metro Bury, Jubilee Centre, Officially Opened on the 19th September 1996 by The Director General Age Concern England, Lady (Sally) Greengross OBE".