Full Plans application guidance notes

Notes for guidance in completing a Full Plans application

  1. In respect of a new building or extension to a building, the full plans application shall be accompanied by a plan to a scale of 1/1250 showing:
    a) the size and position of the building, or the building as extended, and its relationship to adjoining boundaries;
    b) the boundaries of the curtilage of the building, or the building as extended, and the size, position and use of every other building or proposed building within that curtilage;
    c) the width and position of any street on or within the boundaries of the curtilage of the building or the building as extended.
  2. All accompanying plans and particulars must show that any work carried out complies with the Building Regulations 2010 as amended.
  3. If not shown on the plans, particulars must be submitted of:
    a) Drainage both foul water and storm water
    b) Provision of exits in buildings to which Section 24 of the Building Act 1984 relates
    c) Precautions to be taken in building over a public sewer or drain. It may be that you will be required to enter into an agreement with United Utilities but you will be informed if this is the case
    d) The steps to be taken to comply with any local enactment
  4. The Building Regulation approval is valid for three years but work can begin as soon as 2 days after you have submitted your application.  However, any work carried out before you have got formal approval must comply with building regulations or you risk having to correct it after we have inspected it.
  5. New installations, rewires and adding new circuits to an existing installation:
    If the electrical contractor is a member of Competent Persons Self Certification Scheme (CPS) e.g. NICEIC or ECA, they must complete Installation Certificate (Form 1) BS 7671 (as amended). If the electrical contractor is not a member of a CPS, they must complete the Design and Construction parts of Installation Certificate (Form 2) BS 7671 (as amended) and the homeowner will need to arrange for an electrical contractor who is a member a CPS to inspect and test the installation to enable them to complete the Inspection and Testing part of the form. In both instances the electrical contractor is required to complete Form 3 Schedule of Inspection and Form 4 Schedule of Test Results.
  6. Additional sockets or lighting points to an existing installation in a kitchen or special location:
    If the electrical contractor is member of a CPS, they must complete the Minor Works Certificate (Form 5). Copies of the appropriate forms must be deposited with the authority at completion of the work; failure to do so will prevent the authority from issuing a completion certificate and may lead to enforcement action taken against the homeowner and/or the electrical contractor. Homeowners would be advised not to pay contractors until these electrical work certificates have been provided and the building work complies with the Building Regulations.
    The preferred route to approval is for any homeowner to use an electrical contractor who is registered under a Competent Persons Self Certification Scheme e.g. NICEIC or ECA. If when the work has been completed it is found that the electrical work has been carried out by a non-registered electrician then the work may need to be regularised. This could incurred a higher additional charge.
  7. Section 16 of The Building Act 1984 (Passing or rejection of plans) enable the Local Authority to pass plans subjected to conditions, but only if the applicant or agent agree in writing. Such conditional approvals can overcome the necessity to reject applications when your plans are defect or show contraventions of the building regulations. In some cases, a condition may require the deposit of further plans for part of the work not shown on the original plans. The decision to issue such conditional approvals is entirely at the Local Authority's discretion, but to do so requires the written permission of the applicant.
  8. All plans should show compliance with the provisions of the Greater Manchester Act 1981 where applicable.
  9. Charges:
    Charges are paid on the basis of the application submitted. Applicants should note that when an estimate is submitted the charge payable will be based on this estimate assuming it is considered to be reasonable. If an applicant subsequently obtains a lower estimate no refund can be made. A Guidance Note on fees is available on request.
    It is not possible to withdraw your application once it is has been registered. A decision will be issued as soon as possible after that time.
    Certain works for disabled persons are exempt from plan and inspection charges. This includes provision of suitable means of access to dwellings, public buildings or buildings to which the public are admitted or for providing facilities designed to secure their greater health, safety, welfare or convenience such as sanitary accommodation, lifts etc. In all case the work must be solely for the benefit of a disabled person. The exemptions will not normally apply to new constructions. An extension for a renal dialysis machine or any other medical equipment will not require fees. Written proof of disability must be provided with the application e.g. letter from GP or proof of any disability allowance payment.
  10. The information given by you on this form is held and controlled by Bury Council. The information is held for the purpose of the council's functions under the Building Act 1984. The information provided may be disclosed to third parties who make legitimate enquires regarding the application of the Building Act 1984 to the building(s) concerned.

Persons proposing to carry out building work or make a material change of use of a building are reminded that permission may be required under the Town and Country Planning Acts. Please check using the Planning Portal or ring the planning help line on 0161 253 5432.

Further information or help concerning the submission of Building Control applications may be obtained from Building Control help line: 0161-253-5313 or by e-mail to building.control@bury.gov.uk.