Bus lanes separate buses and vehicles such as taxis, emergency services and cycles from other road users, giving them priority over other traffic. They have been set up to improve the reliability of public transport on busy main roads in the borough. All other vehicles are prohibited from travelling in bus lanes at times when they are in operation.
To make sure bus lanes are effective we monitor them using CCTV cameras. If you are caught driving in a bus lane within the prohibited times we will send you a Penalty Charge Notice, within 21 days, together with photographic evidence. If this happens you need to decide whether to;
Bus lanes are located at:
- Manchester Road, Bury (alongside Redvales Playing Fields)
- Bolton Road, Bury (three sections)
- Rochdale Road, Bury
- Bury Old Road, Prestwich (two sections)
- Bury New Road, Prestwich/Whitefield
The bus lanes are in force from Monday to Friday, from 7am to 10am, and from 4pm to 7pm, except the Manchester Road bus lane which is in operation from 7am to 7pm. You can drive in a bus lane at off peak times and at weekends.
Further information is available in the downloads section below:
- the Code of Practice explains how councils make sure bus lanes are used correctly
- the CCTV traffic enforcement protocols outlines how bus lane enforcement works in Bury. This document is intended for use by civil enforcement officers, but it is published here for public information