Manchester Road Park
Manchester Road, Bury
Grid Ref: (E) 380324, (N) 410021
Area: 2.88 hectares approximately
- The Welly cafe and community hub
- Two bowling greens
- Children's play area
- Multi-play ball zone
- Two tennis courts
A brief introduction to Manchester Road Park
Manchester Road Park is a small urban local community public park of approximately 2.88 hectares. The park is located about half a mile from Bury town centre in an area named Redvales. First opened as a public park in 1890, Manchester Road Park is still very popular today.
The park is fairly level throughout with well-maintained footways and is accessible to people using wheelchairs and families with push-chairs.
Green Flag Award
Manchester Road Park has retained a Green Flag Award since 2006. The national Green Flag Award scheme recognises excellence in greenspace management and measures criteria such as cleanliness, maintenance, sustainability, community involvement, heritage, nature conservation, health, safety, security and overall management.
Manchester Road Park was one of four parks established following a public meeting in 1883, with contributions from Lord Derby, the Lord of the Manor, a public subscription, and, in this particular case, generous contributions of land and money from a local benefactor, Mr Thomas O. Openshaw. The Park was opened in August 1890 by the Earl of Derby, with the Bowling Green being opened in 1906.
Within three years after Manchester Road Park was opened some 20 acres of land had been acquired by charitable donations to create public parks in the Borough.
Steam trams were introduced along Manchester Road in 1883, and electric trams in 1903. Although buses took over the services to Whitefield and Manchester before the Second World War, it was still possible to enjoy a tram ride along here during the 1940's, either on the temporary Starkies service or on a football special.