I own an empty property, can I get help to renovate it?

If a property has been empty for 3 or more years then a builder can charge a reduced 5% rate of VAT on work to renovate the property.

A developer or house owner can claim back all the VAT charged on the renovation of a building that has been empty for 10 years. The developer will have to register for VAT and sell the house to claim the VAT (this relief is not applicable where a property is let). The house owner can claim for the VAT under the DIY Builders Refund Scheme available from Customs and Excise if they are retaining the property for private residential use and do not intend selling the property.

For more information, please visit: Gov.uk - Claim a VAT refund on a conversion if you're a DIY housebuilder.