Demolitions - control and advice

Your questions answered

Do I need permission to demolish a building or structure?

The demolition of any building or structure over 50 cubic metres requires notice under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 to be given to the Local Authority, in writing, a minimum of six weeks prior to any demolition work starting.

Who do I contact to enquire about any demolition work?

Please contact us. It is also a legal requirement for the applicant to contact the Statutory Undertakers and all residents adjacent to the site.

Can I demolish any building without planning approval?

No, permission may be needed. Please contact our Planning Service on 0161 253 5432.

Who do I need to tell work is starting on my demolition work?

As well as informing the Local Authority it is also a legal requirement, to contact the Statutory Undertakers and all residents adjacent to the site to notifying them of your intentions.

Who do I contact if I think that the work is dangerous or the demolition work is being done in a dangerous manner?

Please contact the Health and Safety Executive on 0345 300 9923 or our Building Control Service on 0161 253 5313. If out of hours please use the emergency numbers provided.

Who should I contact if excessive noise is coming from a demolition site?

If it is during normal working hours ring Environmental Service on 0161 253 5353 or if out of hours contact the Councils Emergency Services on 0161 253 6606.