Acupuncture, skin piercing, tattooing and electrolysis business registration
About skin piercing registration
Any premises used for the following types of skin piercing must be registered with us.
- Semi - permanent skin colouring
- Cosmetic skin piercing
The registration covers both the person carrying on the practice and the premises used for that purpose.
It is illegal to carry out these activities unless the registration has been formally approved.
There are no powers to refuse registration, but the practice is controlled through compliance with the byelaws and health and safety at work legislation.
The applicant must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe, hygienic, prevent the spread of disease and comply fully with the general duty of care required by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
Application evaluation process
- The inspector will want evidence that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe, hygienic, prevent the spread of disease and comply fully with the general duty of care required by the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the byelaws.
- Once a completed application form and fee has been received we will acknowledge receipt within 14 days. If you do not hear from us please contact us. One of our Environmental Health Officers will contact you to arrange to undertake an inspection of the premises. If the inspector considers the applicant's procedures and the premises are suitable, then registration will be approved.
- Register the premises - £72
- Proprietor (per person) - Ear piercer - £26
- Proprietors (per person) - Electrolysis and Acupuncturer - £72
- Proprietors (per person) - Tattooist, Body Piercer, Semi-permanent skin colouring and microblading - £118
- Re-issue of skin piercers certificate - £19
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the business. If that has not worked, please contact us.
If you wish to complain about the safety of the business premises and practices or are one licence holder wishing to complain about another contact us.