Council Tax - make a payment
There are several ways to pay your Council Tax.
If your Council Tax account has been passed to an enforcement agent (bailiff), please contact them to arrange a payment.
You can pay now by debit card, credit card or PayPal.
By Direct Debit
Have you considered paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit? It takes just 5 minutes to set up, saving you time over the year compared with other forms of payment.
By standing order or online banking
Payment can be made direct to our bank:
- Barclays Bank PLC, 1 Central Street, The Rock, Bury, BL9 0JN
- Sort code: 20-16-24, Account number: 33020983
Please ensure that you quote your Council Tax account number (the 8 digit number on your bill beginning with '4').
You can pay by debit or credit card on 0161-253-5656 (Monday to Fridays 8.45am to 5pm). If you do not know your Council Tax account number we can still take a payment after you have answered some security questions.
You can also use our 24 hour automated payment line on 0300-456-0542 (calls cost the same as those to normal home or business landline numbers starting with 01 or 02).
You can pay your bill at:
- Post Offices and Paypoint outlets - the Post Office will accept cheques which should be made out to 'Post Office Ltd'.
- Council offices in Bury, Prestwich and Radcliffe - Bury and Prestwich offices will also accept cash payments
- Libraries and Council Information Points
Check your Council Tax balance
If you have an Open Access account you can check your Council Tax balance on line.
If you would like to set up an Open Access account, we need to issue you with a user name and password. Please complete the contact form below and let us know your:
- account number (the 8 digit number on your bill beginning with '4')