Household waste and recycling centres (tips)
Household waste and recycling centres remain open for essential visits during the coronavirus pandemic. Please only visit if you really need to and sort your household waste beforehand to reduce the length of your visit.
Safety measures for visiting household waste and recycling centres
Remember: Hands. Face. Space
- Wash your hands before and after your visit (or use hand sanitiser)
- Wear a face covering when you are outside your vehicle
- Follow the social distancing measures on site and stay two metres away from other visitors and staff at all times
- Stay at home and do not visit if you or anyone in your household has coronavirus symptoms or is self-isolating
The number of times you can visit per year is based on the type of vehicle you have as follows.
- Residents in a standard car and cars with single axle trailers - 52 visits per year
- Residents in cars with double axel trailers - 18 visits a year
- Residents in a small van (less than 3.5 tonnes) - 18 visits per year
- Residents in a large van (more than 3.5 tonnes) - 12 visits per year.
- Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and CCTV is in place across all sites to monitor vehicle visits
- If your vehicle is over 2 metres high you won't be able to access the centres due to the height of the barrier, you will need to use a waste transfer facility instead.
- A waste transfer facility must be used for disposal of asbestos or plasterboard.
- For health and safety reasons, PPE must be worn at waste transfer facilities.
- There are separate arrangements for disposal of business waste.
In the Borough of Bury there are two centres:
- Bury Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Every Street is open every day from 8am to 8pm (Enquiries: 07881 386 829).
- Radcliffe Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Cemetery Road is open every day from 8am to 8pm (Enquiries: 07881 386876).
Residents can also use other centres within Greater Manchester:
- Find out what you can and can't take and search for other local centres
- Household waste and recycling centres - your questions answered