Household waste and recycling centres (tips)

From Monday 13 July, the final restrictions were lifted and vehicles with trailers are now allowed access to the recycling centres for disposing of household waste only. Trade waste is not permitted.

Items that you can't take to the recycling centre are:

  • Food waste
  • Asbestos
  • Plasterboard

You can take household asbestos and plasterboard to a waste transfer facility. More information is available below.

Please note: 

  • Radcliffe HWRC at Cemetery Road is open 8am to 6pm daily (Enquiries:  0161 723 5249 or 07881 386876).
  • Bury HWRC at Every Street is open 8am to 6pm daily.

Follow recycling centre social distancing measures

You do not need to wear a face covering when visiting the Household Recycling Centres in Greater Manchester, as these are outdoor open spaces. Visitors are asked to observe the following site rules.

  • Stay two metres (six feet) away from other visitors and staff at all times
  • Only one person at a time to dispose of waste in any container
  • Only one person to access a walkway/gantry at a time
  • Do not visit if you or anyone from your household have Covid-19 symptoms
  • Two people from the same household may leave their vehicle only to carry large items
  • Other passengers must remain in the car
  • Wash your hands regularly

Vans under 2 metres are allowed access for residents to bring their household waste. The visit limits introduced in February this year remain in place:

  • Residents in a standard car and cars with single axle trailers - 52 visits per year
  • Residents in cars with double axel trailers - 18 visits a year
  • Residents in a small van (less than 3.5 tonnes) - 18 visits per year
  • Residents in a large van (more than 3.5 tonnes) - 12 visits per year.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) and CCTV is in place across all sites to monitor vehicle visits and there is strictly no trade waste accepted.

Recycling centre rules

  • No trade waste
  • No pedestrian access
  • SUEZ staff will not be able to help unload your vehicle
  • ANPR and CCTV are in operation

Waste transfer facilities

Residents can use the waste transfer facilities which is where the council vehicles go to deliver the waste and recycling collected from household bins.

These facilities can be used by residents:

  • to dispose of asbestos (cement-bonded)
  • to dispose of plasterboard or bags of plaster/gypsum
  • if they have a vehicle higher than 2 metres and therefore cannot use a recycling centre which all have fixed height barriers set at 2 metres.

The opening times are:

  • Monday to Friday - 7:30am to 5pm
  • Saturday - 8am to 1pm
  • Sunday - closed
  • Bank holidays - 10am to 5pm 

Important information about waste transfer facilities

Residents must be wearing PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to enter the waste transfer facility. This includes:

  • high-vis jacket or vest
  • safety boots or shoes
  • safety helmet
  • protective gloves
  • safety glasses

These can be purchased from most DIY stores.

Trade waste

Any traders wanting to bring their waste should use the weighbridges at the recycling centres as trade waste isn't accepted through the household waste recycling centres. A new contactless payment system is being introduced for traders who do not have an account at the recycling centres, and PPE must be worn at all times.

Contact for Waste Management Service