Every live birth must be registered within 42 days of a child being born.

Where to register a birth

The birth must be registered at the Register Office in the district in which the birth occurred. However provision is available for you to attend any office in England and Wales to make a declaration of particulars required for the registration. In this case the birth certificate will be sent to you by post.

We register births of babies born in Bolton or Manchester, for Bury residents, due to no maternity unit being available in Bury. These registers will be sent back to the respective district on a monthly basis.

Who can register the birth

  • One of the parents if the parents are married to each other
  • The mother, or the mother and father together if they are not married to each other.
  • Lesbian couples who are civil partners at the time of the conception.
  • Lesbian couples who are not civil partners at the time
  • You cannot ask a friend or relative to register the birth in your behalf.

If the parents are not married to each other at the time of the birth, the father's details may be entered when the mother and father attend together to register the birth.

When the father is not able to attend he may make what is called a Statutory Declaration confirming that he is the father. The mother will give this declaration to the Registrar (the form for this declaration is available from any Register Office).

When the mother is not able to attend with the father, she may make a Statutory Declaration confirming the name of the father. The father should give the declaration to the Registrar.

When either parent has a Court Order or Parental Responsibility Agreement in respect of the child the Court Order or Agreement must be handed to the Registrar who will advise on each case as it arises.

What information will I have to supply for the registration of baby's birth?

  • The date and place of baby's birth. If the birth is one of twins, triplets etc. then the time of each baby's birth will also be required
  • whether the baby is a boy or a girl
  • the forenames and surname in which it is intended that the baby will be brought up.
  • Father (where these details are to be entered in the register):
    • his forenames and surname
    • his date and place of birth
    • his occupation at the time of baby's birth or, if he was not employed at that time, the occupation he last had.
  • Mother:
    • her forenames and surname. Her maiden surname will also be required if she is, or has been, married
    • her date and place of birth
    • her usual address at the date of the birth
    • her occupation (optional). If she has been employed at any time before the birth this occupation can be entered in the register if she so wishes.

You must register the birth personally, you cannot ask a relative or friend to attend instead of you.

What certificates will I be issued with?

After the birth has been registered you will need to purchase any certificates that you require. There are two types, a short birth certificate which only shows the baby's name and surname, the date of birth and baby's sex. This certificate has limited use and is not accepted by most government agencies and other organisations. The current fee for this is £11.00 at the time of registration.

From 1 November 2017 parents were no longer issued with a free short birth certificate.

The other certificate is a standard or full birth certificate and this shows all the details that are contained in the birth register and this will be required to obtain a passport.

The current fee for this is £11.00 for each certificate at the time of registration.

Please telephone for an appointment to register baby's birth.

Contact for Register Office