Skip to main content

Bury Support Fund can provide resettlement grants to help you equip your home with basic essential furniture items, such as a:

  • fridge or freezer
  • bed frame and mattress for each household member
  • cooker or microwave

Who is eligible?

The scheme is intended to help people regain their independence after:

  • a period of institutional care;
  • leaving temporary supported furnished accommodation (including Bury Council Community Resettlement accommodation);
  • fleeing Domestic Abuse (please tell us which organisation(s) has been supporting you, such as, a refuge, charity, police etc. We will treat this information sensitively);
  • or at risk of going into a care institution.

Assistance will be linked to support from other services and agencies to help people become established or maintain their independence.

In addition, you will need to:

  • have a significant local connection and have lived in Bury for the last 6 months unless you have fled domestic abuse from another area
  • have signed up for a new sustainable tenancy in the Bury area. You will need to provide proof of your signed tenancy agreement
  • have not received any previous essential items from the resettlement scheme
  • provide evidence that you do not have the funds to purchase the items requested
  • be legally resident in the UK, passed the residency test and not be subject to immigration control
  • receive one of the following means tested benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit

Funding is limited, based on eligibility and evidence of need, and will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. There's a limit of one award per household. The scheme is discretionary and there is no automatic right to the extra help.

The scheme cannot be used to consider any other situation, such as, those setting up home after leaving the home of a friend or family member, a planned move due to downsizing, those moving out of the borough or those choosing to move from one property to another. It cannot help with any associated removal costs, bonds/deposits, or rents in advance.  It is only designed to assist with certain household items. 

Make a claim

Please complete the form below, selecting one of the ‘resettlement’ options.

Or you can call 0161-253-7030 (Monday - Friday, 8.45am - 5pm).

We may ask you to provide proof of any benefits you receive and/or bank statements. We'll need these to help us consider your application.

What happens when you’ve applied

We will review your application which can take up to 14 working days. Please provide the correct contact information as our team will need to contact you. When we ring you, it will show as an 'unknown' number. If we cannot contact you by phone, this may delay your claim.

We will only make a payment when you have signed your tenancy, provided us with a copy of your agreement and decided on a moving in date.