Skip to main content

Changes such as moving home, your personal situation and changes to who lives with you can affect the amount of Council Tax you pay.

Change of address

When moving to a new address in Bury, you will need to register for Council Tax on your new home.

If you have recently moved, you should tell us about your change of address. This could be if you:

  • have moved to Bury
  • are moving away from Bury
  • are moving to another address in the Bury borough.

Council Tax is calculated on a daily basis. If you move home, you will be billed up to the date that you move from your old address and then you will be sent a bill for your new address.

If you have paid too much Council Tax at your old address, we will transfer the balance to your new account.

If you move outside the Bury area, we will issue you a refund.

If you are an individual or private household

If you are moving within the Bury area or moving out of the Bury area:

If you are moving abroad:

If you are moving into Bury for the first time, or you were not paying Council Tax at your last address (for example, you were living with your parents or a friend):

If you are a landlord or letting agent reporting the change of address of a tenant

If you have tenants moving in or out of a property you rent out, we need to know:

  • the names of your tenants
  • dates of their tenancies
  • the rental property address

We also need to see a copy of the tenancy agreement or document to confirm tenant has moved in or out.

If you are representing a company

Moving into a property which has been empty for more than 2 years 

Complete this form if you have moved or are moving into a property with an empty property premium charge or are the owner of a property and have tenants moving in. You will need to provide photo ID such as a passport or driving licence, a signed tenancy agreement if you have a tenant moving in and utility bills with the new address on.

Change of property ownership

You will need to inform us when you:

  • buy a property, even if you don't intend to live in it
  • sell a property and are no longer longer responsible for Council Tax.

Telling other services about moving home

If you are moving within, to or out of Bury, we recommend you also:

Changes to who lives with you

Any changes to people who live with you, whether they are moving in or moving out, this could mean a change to your Council Tax amount.

You should tell us if:

  • someone named on the Council Tax bill changes their name or moves out
  • a person you receive a discount for moves out or their circumstances change
  • you're responsible for an empty property and you rent it out to a tenant
  • someone moves out and you're the only adult living in your home, as you'll be eligible for single person discount
  • a second adult moves in with you or a child living with you turns 18 years old, you will need to cancel single person discount if you currently receive it.

Informing us of a death

If someone has died and were responsible for Council Tax, you will need to tell us about this. 

If someone who lives in a property dies, but is not named on the Council Tax bill, you should also tell us about their death if:

  • there is now only one adult living in the property
  • the person who died was eligible for a Council Tax discount.

Tell Us Once service

When registering someone's death, you'll be given the option to use the Tell Us Once service. If you choose to use this service, the registrar will pass your details to the Council Tax office.

If you did not use the Tell Us Once service, you can use our online service.

Council Tax changes after notification of a death

If the property is occupied, we will change the name on the Council Tax bill. If there is only one adult resident, we will also award a single persons discount.

If the property is left empty, we will change the name of the Council Tax bill to the executors. The empty property will remain exempt until six months after grant of probate or letters of administration are issued. Council Tax may become payable after six months.

If the property was rented, it will remain exempt from Council Tax until the tenancy is ended, if this period does not extend to more than six months following grant of probate or letters of administration.

Any overpaid Council Tax will be refunded to the executors when grant of probate or letters of administration have been issued.