Pre-application discussions about your planning proposals are very valuable to you and us. It helps to enable the efficient handling of subsequent planning applications and we encourage you to engage with us if you're considering a new development. We're committed to providing a positive and proactive Planning Service which meets Government performance targets for the processing of planning applications.
Pre-application development categories
The following categories describe the types of pre-application planning advice we offer.
Pre-application planning enquiries are chargeable. The fees for pre-application advice for each development category are detailed on our fees page.
If you’d like to get our opinion on your Planning proposal, please submit a pre-application enquiry:
The following information and documents must be provided:
- Ordnance Survey based location plan with the boundary of the site edged in red at 1:1250 scale
- Existing and proposed site layout plans at 1:200 or 1:500 scale
- Existing and proposed floor plans at 1:100 scale
- Existing and proposed elevations at 1:100 scale
- A written statement with a concise description and/or list of all the works for your proposed development (with supporting photographs or sketches)
The more information you can provide about your proposal, the more accurate and in-depth our feedback will be. Please be aware that we will not comment on what is suitable development on a plot of land, for example if it's up for sale via auction, without submission of a formal pre-application enquiry.
We understand that the cost of providing professional drawings for householder type developments could be prohibitive at this stage, however without any form of drawings, the advice we can provide will be limited.
You can find information and advice about whether planning permission is required and the process via the Planning Portal:
- Planning portal - Permission
- Planning portal - Common projects
- Planning portal - Interactive guidance
- Planning portal - Your responsibilities
- Planning portal - Your options: What to do next
If you require our confirmation in writing as to whether you need planning permission for your proposal, or that your proposal is permitted development, you must apply for a Lawful Development Certificate:
Pre-application service standards
For information about pre-application service standards, planning performance agreements and submission requirements, please visit: Pre-application service standards.