Health and safety
Health and safety advice for businesses during coronavirus
- Shops and offices
- Hotels and leisure facilities
- Builders' merchants
- Steel stockholders
- Residential homes
Health and safety standards
You must ensure that your business meets the necessary health and safety standards and procedures. You can find out more information about these standards on the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website.
Alternatively, we will be happy to advise you on health and safety matters in the workplace.
Personal treatment businesses
If your business involves tattooing, piercing, electrolysis or hairdressing, you must register your business with the council and meet the necessary byelaws, before you can operate.
If you run a food business you must register with the council. Please see our register a food business page for more information.
Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive, rather than the Council, according to the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you who the relevant enforcing authority for health and safety purposes is and when you contact us.
Bury Council will:
- Inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities.
- Use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance.
- Investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces.
- Investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises.
- Register particular premises (eg skin piercing, sex shops).
- Act as a consultee in relation to public safety for applications under the Licensing Act.
- Give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues.
- Work with other health professionals locally and nationally.
Help us to help you
Please contact us if you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace. Please have full details ready of the premises concerned when you contact us and we'll require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress.