Public Spaces Protection Order
There are a number of areas within the borough in which any person who is reasonably believed to be, or have been, consuming alcohol may be required to not consume alcohol and to surrender anything in their possession for it to be disposed of.
Persons failing to comply with a request by a police constable exercising his power under this Act may be subject to summary prosecution which may lead to a fine being imposed.
Public Spaces Protection Orders are designated for the purposes of the Anti Social Behaviour act 2014.
The areas currently designated within the borough are listed below:
Bury town centre - All streets and public areas within the following described boundaries.
- To the North, the full length of Peel Way (Inner Relief Road) to its junction with Jubilee Way in the West and its junction with Walmersley Road, Moorgate and The Rock in the East
- To the West, the full length of Jubilee Way from its junction with Peel Way to its junctions with Angouleme Way and Manchester Road
- To the South and East, the full length of Angouleme Way to its junction with Rochdale Road
- To the East, Rochdale Road to its junction with Derby Street
- The full length of Derby Street to its junction with Barlow Street
- The full Length of Barlow Street to its junction with The Rock
- The Rock from its junction with Barlow Street to Peel Way in the North
Prestwich - the area falling within the boundary that can be described as follows:
- To the north, the southern edge of the M60 motorway adjacent to junction 17, west to Bury New Road (A56) and east to Bury Old Road (A665)
- To the west from the south side M60/ Bury New Road junction, along Bury New Road southwards to the Bury/ Salford boundary
- To the south the line of the Bury/ Salford and the Bury/ Manchester boundaries to the Middleton Road and Sheepfoot Lane junction
- To the east the Bury / Manchester boundary on Sheepfoot Lane to the junction of Sheepfoot Lane and Bury Old Road then northwards along Bury Old Road to the M60. The designated area includes the full width of the boundary roads mentioned above or to the local authority boundary and where the defined area adjoins residential areas within the borough of Bury the area extends 50 metres into the adjoining streets, roads and public places
Radcliffe town centre - all streets and public areas within the following described boundaries:
- Pilkington Way from its Northerly junction with Stand Lane to its junction with Spring Lane. The ban to extend into the area to the West of Pilkington Way, Huchinson Way, Sion Street and Allens Green which comprises the Skateboard Park
- The Northerly section of Stand Lane through to its junction with Church Street West
- Church Street West to its junction with Rectory Lane
- Rectory Lane to its junction with Spring Lane
- The Eastern section of Spring Lane to its junction with Pilkington Way and Water Street
In addition to the above area which is effectively an 'enclosed section' of Radcliffe Town Centre, the ban should extend to:
- Water Street from its junction with Ainsworth Road to its junction with Pilkington Way and Spring Lane
- The ban to extend 50 yards into all adjoining streets/roads/public places
Ramsbottom and Holcombe Brook - all streets and public areas within the following described boundaries.
- Bolton Road West from its junction with Longsight Road (Holcombe Brook) in the West, the whole length up to where it changes to Bolton Street in the East. The ban to extend to 50 yards into all streets and public areas to the East and West of Bolton Road West. The area should also include the common land area of 'Pot Green' at the westerly end of Bolton Road West
- Bolton Street from its junction with Bolton Road West to where it changes to Ramsbottom Lane. The ban to extend to 50 yards into all streets and public areas that adjoin Bolton Street. (East and West)
- The entire length of Ramsbottom Lane from its junction with Bolton Street, Carr Street and Bridge Street. To the point where it becomes Stubbins Lane. The ban to extend into all streets and public areas that adjoin Ramsbottom Lane (East and West) and to include specifically the Market Chambers area outside the Civic Centre
- The entire length of Bridge Street from its junction with Carr Street, Bolton Street and Ramsbottom Lane in the West to its junction with Peel Brow in the East at the Peel Bridge. The ban to extend to 50 yards into all streets and public areas that adjoin Bridge Street. (North and South)
- 50 yards West into Carr Street from its junction with Bridge Street, Ramsbottom Lane and Bolton Street. The ban to extend to 50 yards into all streets and public areas that adjoin Carr Street
Tottington village centre- all streets and public areas within the following described boundaries:
- Market Street from its junction with Chapel Street (in the North) to its junction with Laurel Street (in the South). Note: The ban should extend to 50 yards within the following streets which are linked on the West side of Market Street (Wesley Street, Spring Street, Springvale Drive, Springvale Street and Sunny Bower Street
- The whole length of Chapel Street, from it junction with Market Street and Turton Road and Market Street to the junction with Royds Street
- The whole length of Roydss Street, including, its change to South Royds Street
- South Royds Street to its junction with Laurel Street
- The whole length of Laurel Street to its junction with Market Street
Whitefield town centre - all streets and public areas within the following described boundaries:
- Bury New Road from its junction with Bury Old Road and Higher Lane (Besses O'th Barn Junction) to its junction with Cross Street. The ban to extend 50 yards into all the adjoining streets/roads/public places
- New Road from its junction with Bury New Road to its junction with Dales Lane. The ban to extend 50 yards into all adjoining streets/roads and public places
PSPOs do not apply to licensed premises or registered clubs or places where the sale of intoxicating liquor has been authorised by club premises certificate, a temporary permission or premises licence.
The following are not designated public places:
- Premises which hold a premises licence or club premises certificate authorising the sale or supply of alcohol and places within the curtilage of such premises
- Premises at any time where a valid temporary event notice is in force, during the period when alcohol is being sold or supplied and for a period of 30 minutes thereafter
- A place where facilities/activities relating to the sale or consumption of alcohol are for the time being permitted under permission granted under section 115E of the Highways Act 1980.
For more information visit the Bury Licensing Policy page.