Stanley Road, Whitefield
Grid Ref: 806062
Area: 2.01 hectares
- Two crown green bowling greens and two pavilions
- Children's play area
- Multi-play ball zone
- Half ball zone basketball hoop
- Youth shelter
- Car park
A brief introduction to Whitefield Park
Whitefield Park is located next to Whitefield Metrolink tram station, a short distance from Whitefield town centre and approximately three miles from Bury town centre. The park is a small urban local community park and was first opened as a public park in 1890.
Some significant features include an area at the back of the park planted with trees and wildflowers.
The entrance to the park is flat, then rises towards the middle and slopes down at the back. There are well-maintained tarmac and cobbled footways throughout the park. The park is accessible to people with disabilities and families with push-chairs.
Green Flag Award
Whitefield Park has retained a Green Flag Award since 2005. The national Green Flag Award scheme recognises excellence in greenspace management and measures criteria such as cleanliness, maintenance, sustainability, community involvement, heritage, nature conservation, health, safety, security and overall management.
The name Whitefield may be derived from - White - a field of white flowers, hence the name Lily Hill Street (Wilson, 1979) and - Field - meaning a clearing in a forested area (Whitefield was originally on the edge of Rossendale Forest).
On 1 January 1890 a covenant was given to the Whitefield Urban Corporation for the purpose of a public playground by Alfred Grundy Esq, of Underley. It covered four acres of land, and he also gave £800 towards the cost of laying it out. Officially opened on 3 May 1890, the Park was created in a Victorian style, with a bandstand, pond, ornamental flower bed and children's gymnasium (the early forerunners of the play areas). The "walks" were the predominant feature.
Contributions were given to the Council for the purpose of a bowling green on 28 March 1925. Mark Fletcher & Sons Ltd donated the first plot of additional land for the bowling green.
On 6 September 1950 a further covenant was given to the Council by Mark Fletcher & Sons Ltd for the purpose of extending the park and building a bowling green. This second plot of additional land was given for another bowling green, to commemorate the Festival of Britain.