Street trading consent

Important information: You must apply for consent at least ten working days before you wish to start trading. Applications received after this will not be considered.

Apply for a street trading licence

About street trading consent

You need our consent to trade on a street or any land to which the public has free access. Street trading means selling, exposing or offering for sale, any article in a street. A "street" also includes areas to which the public have access without payment such as car parks. 

You'll need to renew your consent every year.

Guidance for street traders

Conditions for street traders consent


  • Twelve month consent - £510
  • Six month consent - £364
  • Three month consent - £244
  • Eight day consent - £183

Where you can and cannot trade

You can trade on any street or land to which the public has free access with the landowner's permission but not within the prohibited areas or so as to cause an obstruction, parking offence or a nuisance.

Prohibited street trading maps (click on the maps to open large versions)
BuryProhibited street trading - Bury (click to open large version)
PrestwichProhibited street trading - Prestwich (click to open large version)
RadcliffeProhibited street trading - Radcliffe (click to open large version)
WhitefieldProhibited street trading - Whitefield (click to open large version)

You cannot trade within 40 metres or within 100 metres if you can see the main entrance of the fixed premises from where you intend to trade.

If your application is refused

Please contact us in the first instance. We will serve a notice of our intention to refuse an application for a licence. Representations can be made in writing to the us within 21 days of the date of the notice.

If we uphold our decision appeals can be made to the local Magistrates court within 21 days of the notice of the decision.

If an application for a temporary licence is refused the applicant can appeal to the local Magistrates court within 21 days of the date of the notice of the decision.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked please contact us.