Support for governors
If you are a governor of a Bury school Bury Council's Governor Support Service can provide guidance and help in your role. This can range from recommending training courses to answering specific questions you have about being a governor.
General policies and guidance
- Gov.uk - Statutory policies for schools
- School governors guidance [248kb]
- Code of conduct [184kb]
- Guidance on headteacher reports to governing bodies [46kb]
- Special educational needs and disability reforms guidance [242kb]
- Gov.uk - Careers guidance provision for young people in schools
- School complaints procedure [284kb]
- Child sexual exploitation briefing for governors [43kb]
- Schools Prevent Duty briefing [296kb]
- Twenty questions every governing board should ask itself [453kb]
- Gov.uk - Keeping children safe in education
- Keeping children safe in education - checklist [47kb]
- Gov.uk - Governors handbook
- Assets Publishing Service - Competency Framework for Governance
The Bury Governor newsletters
Joint newsletters from local school governors, the Bury Governor Association and Bury Governor Training Group.
- The Bury Governor Newsletter - Summer 2019 [317kb]
- The Bury Governor Newsletter - Spring 2019 [288kb]
- The Bury Governor Newsletter - Autumn 2018 [363kb]
Information from elsewhere on the web
You may also find the following websites useful:
- Bury Governance Development - Courses - the overarching aim for Bury Governance Development is to improve the life chances of the children and young people of Bury by enabling them to achieve their full potential. This will be achieved by developing the capacity and capability of school governance in Bury so that governors play a key strategic role in school improvement.
- Schools' Forum - made up of head teachers, governors, elected members, council officers and professional associations, such as trades unions. Their purpose to bring together schools, the council and the Local Education Authority, so they can agree on how education is funded in the borough.
- National Governors' Association - an independent charity, working to support good governance in schools. It is involved in lobbying government ministers, policy makers and education organisations. They also run national conferences, and a number of regional events.
- Times Educational Supplement - provides background information about current education issues.