Houses in Multiple Occupation and shared homes

Your home will probably be a house in multiple occupation (HMO) or shared home if:

  • three or more unrelated people live there as at least two separate households - for example, three single people with their own rooms, or two couples each sharing a room
  • the people living there share basic amenities - like a kitchen or bathroom.

An HMO can be either:

  • a house split into separate bedsits/self-contained flats
  • a shared house or shared flat, where people have separate renting agreements
  • a hostel
  • a bed-and-breakfast hotel that isn't just for holidays
  • shared accommodation for students - although many halls of residence and other types of student accommodation owned by educational establishments aren't classed as HMOs.

If you live in a HMO, your landlord must meet certain standards and obligations.