Abuse of an adult at risk
If a person is in immediate danger you should contact the police on:
- Greater Manchester Police - 0161 872 5050
- Emergency services - 999
If a person is in need of urgent help from Social Care Services you should contact:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9am - 5pm, Wednesday 10am - 5pm - 0161 253 5151
- Out of hours - 0161 253 6606
How do I report abuse of an 'adult at risk'?
If you are worried about an 'adult at risk' because of what you have seen, heard or been told you should report this to Adult Care Connect and Direct. You can either telephone Connect and Direct or complete the Safeguarding Concern Form below and email it.
What is an 'adult at risk'?
An 'adult at risk' is a person over the age of eighteen who may not be able to protect themselves against significant harm or exploitation and this may be due to age, illness or lifestyle. They may have difficulties in expressing feelings or making their wishes known, making them more susceptible to abuse.
What is abuse?
- Physical Abuse - hitting, punching, kicking, slapping
- Sexual Abuse - kissing, unwanted touching, carrying out sexual acts
- Psychological Abuse - intimidation, isolation, humiliation, harassment
- Financial and Material Abuse - theft, fraud, misuse of money by someone who is trusted
- Neglect and Omission - the needs of a dependent person are not met
- organisational Abuse - mistreatment of a person from a system of power
- Anyone can be an abuser - relative, volunteer, paid staff that provide care and services, neighbours and strangers
- Domestic Abuse - controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse by intimate partner or family member
- Sexual Exploitation - relationships where people receive something for sexual activities
- Modern Slavery - slavery, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude
- Self-neglect - neglecting to take care foe one's personal hygiene, health or surroundings
- Abuse can take place anywhere - at home, in a public place, day centres, in a care / nursing home.
Serious Adult Reviews
A Serious Adult Review is undertaken in the event of the death (including suicide) of an adult at risk where abuse or neglect are known or suspected to be a factor. Any serious adult reviews undertaken will be published on this page.