The Government has issued regulations, which set out the types of allowances that can be paid to elected members and how the payment rates of these allowances are determined.
The allowances which are or may be paid are as follows:
- basic allowance
- special responsibility allowance
- dependents' carers' allowance
- travelling and subsistence allowance.
The payment rates for these are recommended for adoption by an Independent Remuneration Panel, which each local authority must establish.
The Independent Remuneration Panel make recommendations about the level of each type of allowance and which members should receive a special responsibility allowance. The Independent Remuneration Panel in Bury consists of the following members:
- Colin Smith OBE (Chair) - retired Local Authority Chief Executive
- Arnold Wilcox-Wood - Rock Triangle Centre Director
- Geraldine Greene - Resident of Bury and Voluntary Sector Worker
Details of the members allowances paid, the schedules of allowances and the allowances scheme are available to download.