Skip to main content

Registering for Business Rates

You're liable for Business Rates if you:

  • occupy a property, as an owner or tenant
  • rent a property and signed a tenancy, even if you have not moved in or started trading
  • are the landlord of a property and you do not have a tenant.

If you're responsible for paying Business Rates and your business premises is empty, you might qualify for a Business Rates exemption.

If you're unsure if you should be responsible for Business Rates, please contact us.

Online Business Rates account

If you have an online Business Rates account with us, you can:

  • check your balance
  • see what you've paid
  • see when your next payments are due.

Business Rates by email

You can sign up for your Business Rates bill to be sent to your email address.

If you currently receive a paper Business Rates bill in the post, you can sign up to receive your bill via email instead. 

Manage your Business Rates account

Change of address

If you're moving into or out of a property, you can report this change to us online. This change can also be reported by landlords, whose tenants are moving in or out of their property.

Change your Business Rates instalments

You may increase the number of instalments or change the date you pay your Business Rates online. 

Find out more about changing payment dates or number of instalments.

Occupation change

Some changes can affect your Business Rates, which can be reported to us online. This could be if you are:

  • setting up a new business
  • opening a new shop
  • taking over an established business
  • buying or renting a business property. even if you are not trading yet
  • buying a business property and intend to rent it out to tenants
  • expanding your business by buying or renting a new property in addition to one you already own or rent.

Vacating a business

Please complete the online business vacation form if you're:

  • selling your business property
  • closing down your business to rent the property to tenants
  • ending your tenancy.

If you're ending your tenancy, the responsibility for Business Rates will return to the landlord once the property is empty.

Tenant change for landlords

If you're a landlord and a tenant moves in to or out of your property, you'll need to let us know.

Business Rates change of circumstances

Please contact us if you're being charged for Business Rates and you think any of the following apply:

  • you don't think you're responsible for paying the bill
  • the dates you've been billed for are wrong
  • you believe you've not been awarded a rates relief or exemption
  • your contact address has changed
  • your landlord has changed
  • your circumstances have changed and you might not be eligible for a discount or exemption anymore.