Skip to main content

Council Tax Support will help to pay your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income.

How much Council Tax Support you get depends on:

  • how much income you and/or your partner have
  • how much you and/or your partner have in savings, and
  • whether you are working age or pension age.

You need to be:

  • liable for Council Tax and
  • living at the property

The online calculator, provided by Entitled to, takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Will I have to pay towards my Council Tax if I get Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support may not cover all of your Council Tax.

Minimum contribution

In Bury everyone of working age who gets Council Tax Support has to pay at least 20% of their Council Tax.

If you're pension age, you may be able to get Council Tax Support to cover all of your Council Tax.

Council Tax band limit

If your property is in Council Tax band C, D, E, F, G or H, Council Tax Support will be worked out as though you are in a band B property. This is as well as the 20% minimum contribution. The following groups are exempt from the Council Tax band limit:

  • all pensioners
  • people who receive :
    • Disability Living Allowance (all care and mobility components)
    • Attendance Allowance (all components)
    • Personal Independence Payments (all components)
    • Employment Support Allowance (Support Related component only)
    • Carers Allowance
    • War Disablement Pension
    • War Widows/Widowers allowance
    • Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme
  • lone parents with a child or children aged under 5
  • someone who has suffered a bereavement of a partner or child in the last 12 months. This exemption will last for 12 months from the date of the bereavement