Skip to main content
Employer Recognition Scheme - Silver Award

Additional preference will be given on the housing register to the following categories of armed forces, in line with statutory guidance, who fall within one or more of the reasonable preference categories and have urgent housing needs:

  • Former members of the armed forces
  • Serving members of the armed forces who need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of their service
  • Bereaved spouses and civil partners of members of the armed forces leaving services family accommodation following the death of their spouse or partner
  • Serving or former members of the reserve forces who need to move because of a serious injury, medical condition or disability sustained as a result of their service

To apply for housing please go to Apply for social housing web page.

If you need help and advice you can contact us or you can complete the referral below and we will contact you.

Special support for people who have served in the armed forces

If you've served in the armed forces and need some help finding a home for you or your family the following organisations may be able to help:

Veterans Gateway

You can use their housing section for advice from their partners on renting or buying properties, eviction, homelessness, service accommodation, care homes and supported housing. Find veteran specific accommodation provided by our partners.

Website: Veterans' Gateway - Housing.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Find out about the help you can get to find a home before you leave the services, and when you are a veteran:

Website: Citizens Advice - Housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

The MOD Army

Provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women.

Visit their website for details of service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.

Website: Army MOD - Housing.

The Naval Families Federation

Provides details of service families' accommodation, short term accommodation and other housing options:

Website: Naval Families Federation - Civilian Housing.

The Royal British Legion

Provides short and long term care for serving and ex-Service people and their dependents in Royal British Legion Care Homes around the country:

Website: British Legion - Our care homes.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)

Offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection.

SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.

Website: SSAFA - The armed forces charity (Greater Manchester).