Skip to main content

We are responsible for repairing and maintaining illuminated and non-illuminated signs on:

  • roads and streets
  • parks, playgrounds and green space
  • car parks

We maintain and repair signs due to accidental damage, vandalism or normal wear and tear. How quickly we repair sign issues depends on how urgent the problem is. We give the highest priority to those issues that may cause a threat to public safety.

Most issues can be reported online, but hazardous and potentially dangerous issues must be reported by phone.

Hazardous sign issues

The following sign issues are hazardous and a danger to public safety.

  • the sign pole door is missing
  • the lamp bowl or lamp is hanging down
  • the sign has been damaged or knocked down (eg in a road traffic incident)

Report these issues promptly by phone.

  • Call 0161 253 5353 between 8.45am and 5pm, Monday to Friday or 0161 253 6606 outside of these hours.

Non-hazardous sign issues

Non-hazardous sign issues should be reported online.

Please note: When you report a non-hazardous sign issue online you can check yourself where we are up to with its repair. You can do this via the link we send you in your confirmation email.

The following are examples of non-hazardous sign issues.

  • lamp bowl missing
  • lamp missing or twisted
  • lamp is flashing on and off
  • lamp is not lit
  • warning lights on a school crossing patrol sign not working
  • sign plate dirty or faded
  • sign plate damaged or missing
  • sign pole bent, coroded or leaning
  • information board damaged
  • street name plate damaged or missing
  • street name plate dirty or faded

You can also request:

  • to relocate a sign;
  • to remove a sign; or
  • a new sign.