Skip to main content

Use the 'Report air pollution' form to report:

  • a nuisance bonfire problem or smoke; or
  • dust or odour coming from commercial or industrial premises or from a building site.

About air pollution issues

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance that they can cause. We can issue an 'abatement notice' if a neighbour's bonfire is causing a nuisance. If you are bothered by smoke from burning that is regularly taking place outdoors you can report this to us. A bonfire will usually happen frequently to be considered a nuisance.

If burning waste at commercial or industrial premises or at a building site is producing dark, thick or black smoke this would be an offence under the Clean Air Act.

Please answer all the questions in our online form as clearly and accurately as you can to help us deal with the problem you are reporting.