Skip to main content

Dropping litter (including food waste, cigarette butts or chewing gum) is an environmental offence. This offence can lead to a fine.

A fixed penalty notice will be issued if one of our officers has witnessed, or has proof, that someone has committed an environmental crime.

What to do if you receive a fixed penalty notice

There is no appeal process for an environmental offence. You should pay the fine within the period specified on the fixed penalty notice.

  • If you do not pay the fixed penalty in time you may be fined and prosecuted. You may also end up with a criminal record and have to pay our costs.
  • If you pay the fixed penalty in time we can't prosecute you and the fixed penalty won't result in a criminal offence.


  • If paid within 10 days: £50
  • If paid after 10 days but before 28 days: £75

How to pay a fixed penalty notice

You can pay online with a debit or credit card. The fine must be paid in full and cannot be paid in instalments. You will need the following from the fixed penalty notice.

  • The fixed penalty notice number (The letter E followed by a 5-digit number)
  • The date the fixed penalty notice was issued