Commercial duty of care: Fixed penalty notice
If you run a commercial businesses you have a duty of care to ensure that you keep a written record of your waste disposal for a minimum of two years. If you are unable to produce your waste transfer notes in relation to this waste disposal you have committed an offence.
What to do if you receive a fixed penalty notice
There is no appeal process for an environmental offence. You should pay the fine within the period specified on the fixed penalty notice.
- If you do not pay the fixed penalty in time you may be fined and prosecuted. You may also end up with a criminal record and have to pay our costs.
- If you pay the fixed penalty in time we can't prosecute you and the fixed penalty won't result in a criminal offence.
- If paid within 10 days: £180
- If paid after 10 days but before 28 days: £300
How to pay a fixed penalty notice
You can pay online with a debit or credit card. The fine must be paid in full and cannot be paid in instalments. You will need the following from the fixed penalty notice.
- The fixed penalty notice number (The letter E followed by a 5-digit number)
- The date the fixed penalty notice was issued