Abandoned and unused bins
How to request a bin to be removed
You can request a bin to be removed if:
- you've seen a bin in the street that looks like it's been abandoned; or
- you have a bin that is no longer needed.
A wheelie bin for rubbish or recycling may be classed as abandoned if:
- it is left out and not in regular use;
- the property to which it belongs to is unknown.
You will need to tell us:
- the colour of the bin
- where the bin is located
- why you want us to remove the bin
- If you tell us you no longer need your recycling bin, before we remove it, you will need to agree to a visit from a recycling officer who will try to resolve the issue.
- If your bin is damaged please request a replacement bin. Your old bin will be removed when we deliver your replacement.
What happens next?
- Bins are usually removed within 28 working days.
- Once we have collected an abandoned or unused bin, if we can, we will refurbish it and use it again.