Disabled parking bay
Disabled parking bays provide on street parking for Blue Badge holders who do not have access to off street parking such as a drive or alternative space.
The bays are not person or address specific and can be used by any Blue Badge holder.
Who is eligible?
All of the following three criteria must be met:
- the driver or passenger is a Blue Badge holder
- a parking space cannot be found within the reasonable distance of the disabled person's property for a major proportion of most days - we cannot consider applications where the parking difficulties are for short periods of time, for example due to being near to a school
- the vehicle is registered and kept permanently at the disabled person's address
In addition one or more of the following criteria should also apply:
- the disabled person has limited or no mobility
- the disabled person is unable to get themselves safely to or from their car, without severe difficulty, pain, distress, or detriment to their condition
- a carer has a severe difficulty, pain or distress in assisting a disabled person and this problem would be solved by the provision of a disabled parking bay
- the disabled person's behaviour is such that they lack insight into their own personal safety and are at risk of injury while being transferred from car to property.
When is it not possible to have a disabled parking bay
Although an applicant may meet the eligibility criteria, we cannot provide a disabled parking bay if:
- there is suitable alternative parking such as a driveway
- a resident's parking permit scheme is already in force on the street
- it would prevent the passage of large emergency vehicles and contravene any traffic laws
- it is less than 10 metres from a junction, although in some circumstances this may be allowable.
- it is possible and safe to temporarily double park
How to apply
Complete the form below.
What happens next
The application process requires consultation with Adult Services, Highway Services and your neighbours. You may be contacted in order to collect some further details. You will hear from us in due course.