Council Tax discounts for students and student nurses
Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if someone over the age of 18 lives at the property who is either:
- a full time student at college or university
- a student nurse
Who is eligible?
A full time student course is one where all of the following apply:
- it lasts for at least one academic or calendar year
- they normally attend for at least 24 weeks during the year
- they normally take part in at least 21 hours of study tuition or work experience per week
- they are enrolled with a prescribed educational establishment such as a University or College - including a Theological College
A student nurse may be eligible for a discount if both of the following apply:
- the course leads to registration on any of Parts 1 to 6, or part 8, 10 or 11 of the Register maintained under section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979
- they are studying for their first inclusion on the Nursing Register - the discount is not available for nurses who are already on the Register and taking further courses
Part time students are not eligible for a discount, but they may be eligible for Council Tax Support if the whole household has a low income. Find out more about Council Tax Support.
How much discount could I receive?
It depends on who else lives in the property and their circumstances. If another person qualifies for a different type of discount, you may also receive a reduction or exemption too. Find out what other types of discounts are available at our discounts and exemptions webpages.
|Household circumstances||Council Tax reduction|
|All adults resident are classed as students or student nurses||100% exemption|
|Two or more adults resident, all of them qualify for a discount, but only one is classed as a student or a student nurse||50% discount or 100% exemption depending on the discount types|
|Two adults resident and one of them is classed as a student or a student nurse||25% discount|
|Three adults resident and two of them qualify for Council Tax discounts, either due to being a student or any other type of discount||25% discount|
|Three or more adults resident and only one of them qualifies for a Council Tax discount for being a student or a student nurse||no discount|
How to apply
The person who is liable for Council Tax, or someone on their behalf, should complete the form below.
We will need to see proof of your student certificate, which should be uploaded with the form. You can obtain a student certificate from the college or university you attend.
If you attend Bolton University you do not require a student certificate, but we still need you to complete the application.
If more than one student is resident we will need an application for each person.
If you are unable to complete the form, or are unable to upload proof of a student certificate, please contact us.
What happens next?
We aim to process your application within 20 working days of receipt.
If you qualify for a discount we will send you a revised Council Tax bill. If you are unsuccessful, we will tell you why we have not awarded the discount.