Problems paying your Council Tax

Can you claim Council Tax Support?

If your household has a low income you may be able to get Council Tax Support.

If you have claimed Universal Credit, you need to claim help with your Council Tax separately from us. You can make a claim even if you're waiting on the outcome of other benefits such as Universal Credit.

Check if you are eligible for Council Tax Support and make a claim 

Can you reduce your Council Tax bill with a discount or exemption?

You may be able to get money off your Council Tax depending on your circumstances and how many other adults live in the property with you

Check if you are eligible for a Council Tax discount or exemption

If you cannot pay your Council Tax this month

Contact us to discuss your options. We can't defer your payments, but there may be ways to make them easier to pay. We can look at:

  • moving your instalment date
  • increasing the number of your instalments from 10 to 12, if you haven't already done so - this can reduce the amount you have to pay each month
  • making a new payment arrangement - please complete the Income and Expenditure form below, and we will contact you to discuss your payment options
  • checking if you have been awarded the correct discounts and exemptions

Change your payment dates or instalments


Complete an Income and Expenditure form


Contact for Council Tax