Bury Young Carers privacy notice
About this notice
Our core data protection obligations and commitments are set out in the council's primary privacy notice.
This notice provides additional privacy notice information for young people between the ages of 5 and 19, or up to 24 for those with a Special Educational Need or Disability (SEND), as appropriate, which are accessing Bury Young Carers.
Bury Young Carers collects and obtains personal information so that we can provide effective support services for young people. These services are designed to support young people in their caring role and to help ensure that young people make a successful transition in to adult life and maximise their potential. Under the GDPR, we must always have a lawful basis for using personal data. At Bury Young Carers we will ask for your consent to share information, both for activities the young carer may be involved in and for information shared during the assessment process.
If you do not consent for us to share information it may affect the service and support we can provide.
Categories of personal data
In order to deliver Young Carer Services, we collect and obtain your name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone number, relative's and cared for details, school/medical information and any other relevant information relating to the caring role such as the duties you carry out at home. We also collect data on gender and ethnicity and record notes of relevant contacts with you and your family on our database.
We may share personal information about you with the following types of organisations who can help you, or if we are required to do so by law (these may include voluntary and community ones):
- Schools/Colleges - We share relevant information about your caring role which could impact on your education so that the school may better support you
- Relevant departments within Bury Council and other local authorities e.g., special educational need (SEN), children, young people in care (CYPiC) teams etc.
- Support services for young people - we may share some of your personal information as part of our support work with you, e.g., sharing information with benefit providers to arrange claims, sharing details with specialist service providers such as mental health support services etc. This personal information is shared with your knowledge and on your behalf unless we have a statutory requirement to do so, or if there is a safeguarding concern.
Data retention / criteria
Bury Young Carers retains your information until your 21st birthday or 26th birthday if you are a young person with SEND. This retention date will vary if you are working with other departments within Bury Children's Services, for example, if you are a looked after child or care leaver.
Rights of individuals
Information about the following is accessible in our guide to exercising your rights:
- exercising your rights
- contacting our Data Protection Officer
- raising a concern with us, or
- making a complaint to the Information Commissioner