GM Mayor's Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund
In May 2018 it was announced that between 2018 and 2022, £160m will be made available from the Transforming Cities Fund to encourage more people to cycle and walk more often in Greater Manchester. Funding bids for schemes are invited quarterly and are expected to comply with principles set out in the GM Cycling Commissioner's 'Made to Move' and 'Beelines' reports.
Bury has been granted 'programme entry' status for a number of schemes, which if implemented could total £12.5m in value:
- A package of crossings of busy roads (including Jubilee Way, Rainsough Brow, Higher Lane).
- Development of Fishpool 'active neighbourhood'.
- A link from the canal at Elton to Bury town centre.
- A link from Milltown Street to the Metrolink station in Radcliffe via Rectory Lane.
- Development of Pimhole 'active neighbourhood'.
In addition, Transport for Greater Manchester is leading on a number of other schemes affecting the borough:
- Development of an 'active neighbourhood' around Heaton Park Metrolink station.
- A package of crossings of busy roads.
- Improved cycle parking at Metrolink stations.
Proposals will be consulted on as they are developed.